Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Loss and Healing

Hey Ladies,

I lost my mom to cancer last November.  She was my favorite person in the whole world, and I miss her so much every day.  Obviously, I am struggling with the loss, but I have found a few things that have really, really helped. 

My first post about losing my mom: http://thelifeofyouraveragetwenty-something.blogspot.com/2012/12/my-life-now.html

I have been attending a six-week bereavement support group for about a month now.  With a couple sessions remaining, I really feel like I am benefiting from the experience.  I am in a parent loss group, and each week, we talk about our loved ones, our loss and how it is affecting our daily lives.  It has been wonderful to connect with other people who understand the difficulty of losing a beloved parent. 

Since my group is winding down, I wanted to look for different ways to continue working through my grief and honoring my mom.  I am so excited about what I found!

In June, I will participate in the 2013 Annual Butterfly Release with the Wendt Center for Loss and Healing.  During the ceremony, the names of the participants' loved ones will be read aloud, and we will each release a butterfly in honor or memory of our loved one.  Cool, right?  I think my mom would love the idea.

Everyone deals with grief differently, but talking about and celebrating my mom's life seems to help me the most.  I am really looking forward to the butterfly release.

Here are some more details about the event:

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=tfb8x9dab&oeidk=a07e6ztk23j49bb1b82

If you have experienced a loss or are struggling with something in your own life, please remember, you are not alone!  Seeking support from a group or a friend can often make a world of difference.  Another tip: listen to "It Gets Better" by FUN a few (hundred) times.  That always helps me :)

And now, some "art" I created in Paint:



Talk Soon,

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment